candles burning beside house shaped christmas orniments on a table - Holiday air quality, indoor air quality, toxic air, respatory illness, sweta-meininger_via Unsplash - Bill Salvatore, Arizona Elite Properties 602-999-0952 - Arizona Real Estate

Common Home Health Hazards Can be More Harmful During the Holidays

Common Home Health Hazards Can be More Harmful During the Holidays.

Your home is cozy and weather tight. You’ve taken all necessary measures to keep Winter weather on the outside. But sometimes consequences of winter-proofing your home may be more harmful than helpful, particularly during the holiday season.

fireplace burning in a dark room, christmas stockings hanging on mantle - Holiday, Christmas, Fireplace - rawpixel-com via Unsplash - Bill Salvatore, Arizona Elite Properties 602-999-0952 - Arizona Real Estate

photo by rawpixel-com via Unsplash

Decreased circulation of fresh air along with the introduction of additional dust and mold from Christmas trees and long-stored decorations, plus increased levels of carbon monoxide from home heating systems, fireplaces, wood stoves, and burning candles, can create a perfect storm for toxic air quality inside your home.

Even if you live in a warmer climate, Asthma, respiratory and sinus conditions are inclined to be exacerbated during the holidays.

Taking the proper precautions just might save your holiday season from unnecessary illness.

Indoor Air Toxins to Be More Aware of This Holiday Season

By Alison Grimes

As the holidays approach, there are many things to prepare. Some will even prepare an exercise routine or schedule to keep up with healthy weight fitness goals; however, few will consider the quality of air throughout the holiday season.

Holiday activities such as heating, cooking, cleaning and even decorating can affect your indoor air quality. So, this month, we’ve partnered with the Mesothelioma & Asbestos Awareness Center to shed light on some common indoor air toxins to be aware of this holiday season.

Mold
Holiday decorating means frequent visits to mold-prone basements, attics or storage units. Decorations used every year carry dust, and, if stored in cardboard, likely develop mold spores over time. It’s important to store decorations in dry, plastic containers, and to clean them before bringing them into your living spaces. Also, Americans will buy between 25-30 million live Christmas trees to decorate their homes this year; however, little consideration is given to how these trees affect indoor air quality. About 7 percent of the general population with allergies suffers from Christmas tree allergies or Christmas Tree Syndrome.

Little attention is given amid the holiday rush to the treatment of cut trees—tightly bundled and packed into moisture-prone environments, either refrigerated or non-refrigerated, and distributed to a retailer near you. At this point, Christmas trees can carry more than 50 species of pathogenic mold spores, and, in many cases, when trees arrive to your home, mold formations can begin to reproduce in as little as 12 hours.

Here are a few ways to keep the indoor air in your home safe from mold produced by Christmas trees, wreaths and more:

  • Clean and wipe tree trunks thoroughly.
  • Use a leaf blower to remove residue and pollen grains from pine needles.
  • Consider cutting your own tree to reduce bypass, storage and transportation that promote mold growth.
  • Consider disposing of your tree immediately following Christmas, as mold can colonize in as little as 1-12 days, depending on the type of mold.

Asbestos
Asbestos is a natural, fibrous silicate mineral with an estimated presence in over 35 million homes in the United States alone. Due to the abundance and fire-resistant properties of this natural resource, asbestos was widely used in construction and manufacturing throughout 1930-1970. As a result, many schools, buildings and homes built during this time period are likely to have asbestos-containing materials, such as shingles, siding, adhesives and paints, among other things. Years ago, asbestos was used to make decorative snow for windows and seasonal installments; however, in the 1960s, it was scientifically proven that asbestos was very dangerous to human health.

Exposure to asbestos can cause asbestosis (a chronic lung disease), lung cancer, pleural effusion and a rare disease affecting the lining of the lungs, abdomen or heart: mesothelioma. When asbestos-containing products become disturbed, releasing its fibers into the air, the fibers can become inhaled or ingested. Therefore, it is important to safely encapsulate asbestos-containing materials to keep safe this holiday season. Have your home tested for asbestos and learn more about asbestos here.

Radon Gas
Radon gas is a present no one wants for the holidays, yet radon levels can soar during colder months when residents keep windows closed and spend more time indoors. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) estimates that as many as 8 million homes throughout the country (or one in five) contain elevated levels of radon. Radon exposure is the second leading cause of lung cancer deaths, following cigarette smoke, and is responsible for claiming 22,000 lives each year. Radon gas is produced naturally as a result of the radioactive breakdown in uranium in rocks and soils. As a result, radon gas can enter households by way of dirt or unfinished basements; therefore, the EPA recommends having your home tested for radon. Also, have a radon scanner installed in your home to safeguard your family from prolonged radon gas exposure.

Particulate Matter
Traditional holiday meals and dinner preparation can result in elevated indoor air pollutant levels. Particularly, reports of elevated ultrafine particles (UFP) smaller than 100nm are associated with gas and electric stoves, and cooking appliances. Gas cooking also emits nitrogen dioxide and particulate matter associated with increased risk of asthma and cardiovascular disease. Consider using an indoor air purifier during the holidays and propping open a window for added ventilation.

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Candles are festive and aromatic, but should also be used with caution. More than 1 billion pounds of wax are used in producing candles each year, in 2,000 varieties and over 1,000 scents; however, similar to wood-burning, candle flames can produce soot, as well as ultrafine particles containing metals as a result of color pigments.

Avoid candles made of paraffin, a petroleum byproduct, as they are most likely to emit carcinogenic soot, aggravating the breathing environment for those with asthma, lung or heart problems. Also, avoid candles made prior to 2003, as they may contain lead-core wicks, which release five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children, and exceed EPA pollution standards for outdoor air. Consider natural candle alternatives made with 100 percent beeswax or vegetable-based wax and cotton wicks. To reduce soot, trip wicks to one-eighth of an inch and do not burn candles in drafty areas.

Reprinted with permission from RISMedia. ©2017. All rights reserved.     Feature Photo by: sweta-meininger_via Unsplash

For more information, Call or Text: 602-999-0952
eMail: golfarizona@cox.net
Bill Salvatore / Arizona Elite Properties
Residential Sales, Marketing, and Property Management


ore Resources for Home Sellers and Home Buyers

Our Buyer’s FAQ page has 9 of the most frequently asked questions from Home Buyers, along with 10 additional resources for Home Buyers at the bottom of the page.

—  —  —

Thinking of Selling your home? First check out our 9 FAQs for Sellers. Then read on, there are 9 additional resources for Home Sellers at the bottom of the page.


Ever wonder what Closing Costs you’ll be responsible for when you buy or sell a home? Check out our infographic and article:

Who Pays for What?

—   —   —

What is standard and legal procedure in a Real Estate transaction?

Home Purchase Offers and Agreements 101

We'd like to know what you're thinking!